Windswept Beer Battered Fish
- 400g White fish (Cod, Haddock or Basa)
- Sunflower or vegetable oil
- For dusting the fish
- 100g Rice Flour
- Pinch of salt
For the batter
- 200g Plain Flour
- 75g Rice Flour
- 1tsp Baking Powder
- 1tsp Salt
- 330ml Windswept Beer (any of our light beers e.g. Poseidon, Hurricane, Blonde etc)
• Place all of the dry batter ingredients into a large bowl and mix together well. Make a well in the centre of the mixture and whisk in beer to make a smooth batter with the consistency of double cream. Cover and chill until ready to use.
• Cut the fish into equal sized pieces and dry well to remove any excess moisture. Mix the dusting ingredients together in a bowl.
• Half fill a heavy-bottomed saucepan with the sunflower oil and heat to 190C. (CAUTION: hot oil can be dangerous. Do not leave unattended.) Alternatively, use an electric deep fat fryer heated to 190C.
• Dust the fish in the dusting flour and the coat in the chilled batter then carefully lower into the hot oil. Cook each batch of fillets (3-4 at a time) until golden brown. Carefully remove from the oil with tongs and drain on kitchen roll lined plate.